Thread subject: :: Storing flies in alcohol

Posted by jorgemotalmeida on 30-07-2008 11:07

Kahis wrote:
crex wrote:
Now that I found a company that sells micro tubes in Sweden I need some 70% alcohol, but where do one find that? I know there are different laws and rules for selling this so maybe it's no good asking ... I have asked at the pharmacy (drugstore) and they have it, but you need a prescription from a doctor to buy it :o:(

From Estonia :)

Or you could contact a natural history museum and ask if they could donate a small amount for insect storage.

Using the various methylated spirits sold for alcohol stoves (T-sprit/T-r?d in swedish) is not recommended, but if you can not find anything else, go for it. Just dilute it with water to 70% before using. Try to find a brand with little/to colouring in it.

Kahis, is it necessary really to mix distilled water with ehtanol 70%? I used to use only ethanol 70% for my specimens.