Everyone is kindly invited to make reprints available through the Downloads section at Diptera.info. Any reprint that is available on the internet can be added to the Downloads section, as long as the link is permanent. If so desired, I am willing to host reprints in electronic format (preferably as PDF's) on the Diptera.info server and include the links in the Downloads section. This may be of interest to dipterists who do not have any webspace available to host their own reprints.
Please, use the site's contact email to send any (links to) reprints you would like to have included.
I have the possibility to scan printed versions and created searchable pdf's but this is time consuming and creates rather large files when the number of pages increases. You can also contact me about converting such reprints to pdf.
The Schlinger Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in Diptera Systematics
The Diptera Unit of the Smithsonian Department of Entomology (USNM) is pleased to announce the Schlinger Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in support of the BioSystematic Database of World Diptera. The recipient will conduct collections-based systematics research on flower flies (Diptera: Syrphidae) and will contribute to the development of the BioSystematic Database of World Diptera as well as other Smithsonian-lead initiatives, such as the Encyclopedia of Life (EoL) and the Consortium for the Barcodes of Life (CBoL).
Yesterday we had some troubles with the forum and, I am partly pleased to say, this was due to the popularity of the site. The other part of me is slightly embarrassed, because I knew the problem would arise at one point but a logical error prevented me from anticipating it now. The content management system (CMS), by default, has a database structure that allows 65536 posts. As we are 'only just' 64000 I though I did not need to take action yet, hoping that it would not be needed before the CMS is upgraded later this year. I overlooked that the database numbers each post individually and the maximum ID number would be reached earlier. SO yesterday evening I changed the setting for the posts table in the database and we should not have any problems anymor in this century. I did not realise that the attachments table carried the same setting for post ID and no attachments were allowed. I changed the setting in that table, too. W should not have problems anymore.
I apologise for not anticipating this issue in the proper way and for any posts/images that may have been lost in this way.
Probably due to a flood in search bot visits (I can not imagine a DOS attack on Diptera.info) one of the panel scripts on the opening page of the site caused an overload on the database server. As a result the host decided to make the database unavailable until I had sorted the problem. Well, I had sorted the problem but next it took them more than 24 hours to get things back. Anyway, the panel was disabled and another panel is now presented in a more simple version to also reduce the server load. Hopefully everything will keep on moving normally now.
I apologise for any frustration this may have caused you. You can count on it that I was frustrated...